Three Portraits of a Troubled Heart - Psalm 13

Intro

When life hits with many sorrowful events how do we react?

What we do during these difficult moments of life?

We ask questions to God?

     David’s circumstance is not clearly described for us clearly in this psalm – in one sense it is good for us. We can apply this psalm to any of our life situations.

      Are you going through any painful situation currently in your life? If then Read the following lines and allow God to speak to your situation and find healing and comfort from this psalm. 


Psalm 13

A Psalm of David. (ESV) 

1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?

    How long will you hide your face from me?

2 How long must I take counsel in my soul

    and have sorrow in my heart all the day?

How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?

3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;

    light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,

4 lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”

    lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.

5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;

    my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.

6 I will sing to the Lord,

    because he has dealt bountifully with me.

 

 The stanzas seem to decrease in their magnitude or turmoil. At first, David cries out in anguish. Then he offers a gentler petition. Finally, he rests in the joy of knowing that God will answer him.

The psalm falls into three stanzas of two verses each: 1. The condition (13:1‑2); 2. The cry (13:3‑4); 3. The celebration (13:5‑6).


 1. Condition of our Hearts vv 1-2

 

·       We feel forgotten v.1a

God seems to be far away and we feel forgotten

What experience in your life makes you feel that you’re forgotten by God?

Feeling of estrangement due to sin?

 

·       We feel forsaken v.1b

God allows difficult situations to form our character. Sometimes feeling lonely is good, at least we get back to God from our despair

We often feel isolated from the human relationship and also from God himself.

Sorrowful v 2b

Subdued by enemies – 2c

Usually, our response could be: To waste our time not doing anything useful or we could work too much (workaholic) to hide our emotions.

 

Illus: A Scottish pastor was sharing in one of his sermons, that he will not do the following things when he is sad:

·       Not making any major decisions.

·       Not to write any letters.

·       Not to judge my spiritual life.

·       Not to judge others spiritual life.    


 2. Cry of our Hearts vv 3-4

It’s not a matter of why we cry? but to whom do we direct our cry?  v.3

Do we comfort direct our cries to God? He alone is concerned to listen to our cries and answer us in any situation.

 

Illus - My friend from Bangalore – who lost his mother and sister during this lockdown time. Lost his mother-in-law too in a month’s time and the whole family was grieving the loss of their loved ones.  It is really hard and painful to go through such grief in life.  

 

·       Our Heart before God v 3a

How genuine and real are we before God?

Do we pretend everything is fine in our lives?

Someone said: "The Heart of the matter is the matter of the heart".

 

·        Our Discouragements/ Disappointments/ Darkness v 3b,4

It can be any circumstance in our life. Bring to God and cry unto him.

we have plenty of examples in the bible who have gone through pain and sorrow in their hearts.

1.Elijah – 1 king 19 – depressed – we know the context who was Elijah in 1 kings 18.

2.Hannah – 1 sam 1

v.  3 Light up my eyes.

Hannah – her countenance changed.

Illus – famous Christian hymn - lines

When darkness veils His lovely face,

I rest on His unchanging grace;

In every high and stormy gale,

My anchor holds within the veil.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;

All other ground is sinking sand,

All other ground is sinking sand.


3. Celebration of our Hearts vv 5-6

How can we celebrate when we are sorrowful?

How is it possible to rejoice in God when everything around us looks bleak and hopeless?

I believe only a believer in Christ can rejoice in all circumstances. (Phil 4)  

It needs lots of grace from God. 

Illus – I know a student in the college where I teach who is a good singer. She plays guitar and sings. Recently one student who was attending an online class – passed away a couple of weeks back. His death was sudden – and an early one.  This person was from the same village and  Knew him very well. And her heart was deeply saddened and she refused to sing that morning.

David’s situation did not change but his perspective changed. This is what God expects from us too.

3 reasons for celebration

·       Trusting in God’s Steadfast love v. 5a

·       Rejoicing in His salvation v 5

·       Singing, because of his goodness v 6

 

Conclusion

How about the condition of our hearts as we read this psalm?

Are we really able to sing to the Lord joyfully? Or do we pretend before others?

Bible gives us hope - Only in New heaven and in new earth – storms will be finally stilled – no more cry – no more pain.

Jesus said in john 16:33

“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world, you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world”.

Illus: Recently in 2020 I was attending AIPC (All India Pastors conference) I came across a book named the valley of vision – edited by Arthur Bennet. prayers of the puritans. Few lines that comforted me are as follows:

“that the valley is the place of vision. Lord,

in the daytime, stars can be seen from deepest wells,

and the deeper the wells the brighter thy stars shine;

Let me find thy light in my darkness,

thy life in my death,

thy joy in my sorrow,

thy grace in my sin,

thy riches in my poverty

thy glory in my valley”.

 

Application  

1. Cry unto God – Be real & honest in your emotions before God.

2.Learn to rejoice and Sing in all circumstances. 


God bless!







 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essentials During The Christmas Season (3.5 mins read)

TEN REMINDERS TO PREPARE FOR THIS CHRISTMAS SEASON (5 min read)

Our response to Covid19 - Fear or Faith?