Tribute to my dear Ammachi (1924 – 2020)



Missed a valuable person today (22-04-2020) from the face of the earth. It was a grim reminder to me that death is inevitable. One day I too will face it.

Glory Maragatham was her name. She was born in a small town in TamilNadu, was married to Mr. Jacob, a made for each other couple. She was a teacher in govt high school in Karur and served as Headmistress in various schools in Tamil Nadu.  She has four children, 8 grandchildren, and 11 greatgrandchildren. God has blessed all of us abundantly. As listed in proverbs 31, she was a prudent woman, blessed by God to be a blessing to others.

All the grandchildren call her dearly ‘Ammachi’. She is close to all of us. She was really a prayerful woman, a devoted person, and a woman of faith. She was consistent in her faith life and prayed for all of us.

I still remember she is the one who taught me the old Tamil song Magizhvom Magizhvom for the first time during my school days when she came to our home at Ooty. She was a good geography teacher and taught me during summer vacations.
On every birthday of mine for several years, I remember she sends money-order through the post and with a postcard handwritten with lots of love and scripture promises. She remembers every need when we share with her and she prays earnestly with concern.

She loves eating sweets (poolipu mittai) and shares with us after every meal. She took care of me like a mother when I was working in night shifts in Bangalore. She checks on me whether I had food or not before I sleep. She was such a sweet and loving grandma I had.

How can I forget that she came to my wedding in 2012 to Hyderabad from Chennai and blessed me and Vasantha. We as a family cherish every moment spent with Ammachi. I could not even imagine how she could travel such a far with all her weaknesses. She is really a strong-willed person.

Thanks to God as we could recently visit her and spend time with her and sang songs with her. I still cherish her humor. With a grateful heart, I thank God for all these memories to recollect on this day. There are many more memories that I could not describe in my words. But I cherish those in my heart.

I learned about prayer from her life. To keep praying persistently to God even when the answers are delayed. Also, I learnt how important to intercede for others. One day personally she said to me I never pray for myself; I always pray for others. That really challenged me. 

Her life was well-lived. A simple and plain life. She was 96 when she entered eternal glory. She lived life to the fullest for God’s Glory as her name sounds. A good example to all of us. I salute her for leaving a legacy to our family. Let her soul rest in peace in God’s presence. One day I will see her in eternity. This is the hope of Resurrection for all those who die in Christ.

No Jesus -No Heaven; Know Jesus -Know Heaven. Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essentials During The Christmas Season (3.5 mins read)

Our response to Covid19 - Fear or Faith?

TEN REMINDERS TO PREPARE FOR THIS CHRISTMAS SEASON (5 min read)